Introducing Brave Voice at Unity Village
A weekend retreat Fri., Nov. 13-Sun., Nov. 15, 2015 in Kansas City, Missouri
Join us for a weekend of Brave Voice — writing, singing, songwriting, and other creative explorations — in one of the Midwest’s most beautiful retreat centers. Unwind, replenish yourself, and create in a supportive community that honors your bravest voice. Open to all who want to discover more of their best and bravest voice whether you’re just getting started in writing or music, or have ample experience. You can register by clicking on the “buy now” button or mailing a check, made out to Caryn Goldberg, to Brave Voice, P.O. Box 1470, Lawrence, KS. 66044
The Retreat: Retreat starts with dinner Friday and ends after lunch on Sunday. Weekend retreat is $250 and includes the whole retreat and all handouts, excluding meals and lodging. Here’s a summary of the schedule:
- 4-5:30 p.m.: Arrival and relax: feel free to check in, take a walk, come early for a massage (extra fee) or to work out for free in Unity’s state-of-the-art exercise center, or stroll the trails and grounds.
- 6-7 p.m.: Dinner
- 7:30-9 p.m.: Welcome to Your Creative Work: Join us for a workshop of welcoming ourselves to the writing, songwriting, singing, and/or other arts that call to us, getting to know each other, and immersing ourselves in a little bit of writing, singing, and art-making. No one is ever pushed to sing alone or share their work aloud unless they want to.
Saturday, Nov. 14:
- 7:30-8:30 a.m.: Breakfast
- 9-10:30 a.m.: Write from the Heart and Soul, Part 1: Explore how you can use your writing to create and unearth greater meaning and power in your life, work, and spirit. Using innovative writing prompts, we’ll discover more of what our writing wants to be be and say, and how to bring greater rhythm, imagery and vitality to the page.
10:45 a.m.-12 p.m.: Singing and Songwriting for Strength and Wisdom Part 1: Learn more about the basic building blocks of songwriting, and how to open your voice safely and with joy to singing.
- 12-1 p.m.: Lunch
- 1:30-2:30 p.m.: Writing From the Heart and Soul, Part 2.
- 2:45-4:15 p.m.: Singing and Songwriting for Strength and Wisdom, Part 2.
- 4:15-5:30 p.m.: Collaboration time, rest, replenishment and wandering
- 5:30-6:30 p.m.: Dinner
- 7-8 p.m.: Collaborative performance with Kelley Hunt & Caryn Mirriam-Goldberg
- 8:15-9:30: Jam session, art-making, collaboration practice.
Sunday, Nov. 15:
- 7:30-8:30 a.m.: Breakfast
- 9-10:15 a.m.: The Care and Feeding of the Artist: Explore with Caryn and Kelley the long and winding road of self-care to protect and cultivate our artistic life as well as aiming ourselves toward making a living and making community in ways that support our callings.
- 10:15-11 a.m.: Prepare to share your work in the Teahouse of Wonder. Practice solo or with others; get advice from Kelley and Caryn.
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Teahouse of Wonder: Share your work in progress, let yourself be witnessed, and witness the strong work of one another.
- 12-1 p.m.: Lunch
- 1-1:30 p.m.: Closing circle
Stay at the hotel or commute (but be sure to buy a meal package to join us for luscious food together).
Lodging: Splendid Unity Village hotel rooms are available at $97/night for double occupancy (half that amount if you share with someone) in one of the most beautiful and ecological hotels in the region. All reservations must be made individually through the Hotel’s Reservation Department by calling 816-251-3540.
Meals: Meal packages are $48/day (a continental breakfast is available at the hotel) plus 18% surcharge for taxes for a total of $113.28 per person for the weekend (including taxes). Unity Village is much beloved for its meals featuring locally-grown and produced particularly luscious food with lots of vegan vegetarian and gluten-free options (not to mention wonderful desserts). If you’re commuting, please be sure to call 1-866-348-6489 or 816-251-3540 to book your meals. If you’re staying at the conference center, you can book your meal package at the same time you’re booking your room.
Overall Lodging & Meals: If you’re staying at Unity Village and rooming with someone (we can help match you up with a roommate), you can expect to pay approximately $227 for the whole package. Singles will cost about $114 more (this includes all taxes). Be sure to call Unity to register for your meal package whether you’re booking the room under your name or if it’s being booked under your roommate’s name.
Unity Village is located on the southeast corner of Kansas City with easy access for driving or flying into Kansas City International Airport. The retreat center features an award-winning hotel (the first green hotel in the region), a full spa and fitness center, imaginative shop full of books and gifts, walking trails, and beautiful nooks to relax in between the Spanish-style architecture. This center is also famous for its meals, which always includes luscious vegetarian options as well as locally-sourced food. The workshops and performances for Brave Voice are taking place in the beautiful chapel, one of the jewels of Unity Village.
Refund Policy: Refunds for workshop are available less a $30 fee up until Oct. 15. Between Oct. 15 and 31, 50% of workshop cost will be refunded. As of Nov. 1, no refunds are possible, but in the case of extenuating circumstances, please contact us, and we will see what we can do. For lodging and meals, please contact Unity Village.